Friday, February 8, 2008

Very Presidential

Last weekend I found myself between very important appointments with time to kill. What a perfect time to go to my favorite Smithsonian, the National Portrait Gallery! I have yet to make it all the way through the museum, but this day, it was important because of a new (temporary) addition to the Hall of the Presidents.

Usually, people head upstairs to see this guy: Mr. Numero Uno in all his glory.

Don't get me wrong, he's an impressive guy. There are many many pictures of him, looking very...uh, presidential. And one unfinished one of just his face floating on a blank canvas. I'm sure there's a great story to that one, but I had moved on before I had time to care.

The rest of the hall is filled with amazing pictures, and even more amazing stories of the paintings, like Norman Rockwell's painting of Nixon. Rockwell was so disturbed by how intense and ominous Nixon seemed, that he purposely softened his look to keep from being forever creeped out by Tricky Dick.

But the real show was just outside the hall of Presidents and was the actual reason I took the trip on Saturday. Just as I came up the stairs to the Hall of Presidents, I stumbled upon this:

No, it's not a line to the bathroom, although it IS where the bathrooms are.
It's because of this:

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, one of the future presidents of the United States, in his own place of honor, between the throne rooms at the Portrait Gallery.

I stood in line for a few minutes to get this picture, walked away, then realized I should get a better shot, had to get back in this line, which after only 20 minutes had turned into not only a longer line but also included a camera crew from the Colbert Report, filming people taking pictures of a picture. Hilarity ensued.


Here's the close up:


Outstanding, I know. It was pretty much amazing.

I wasn't sure I could top this until...I saw the portrait of the next President of the United States. Don't ask me how the Smithsonian folks figured this out already, but after hours and hours of research and polling, they have pre-determined the future President. And already have the portrait up. Now keep in mind, it was a quick job - a better portrait is to come when she officially takes office, but in the mean time, here she is, the future President of the United States of America:Please send your contributions to the campaign/life/shoe-fund now.

1 comment:

Em Sizz said...

Two words:
Uh.
MAZING.

This made my day. Thank you, Kate. Thank you.